Friday, October 10, 2014

Early Impressions - Fall 2014: Rage of Bahamut: Genesis

9 times out of 10, whenever I see the words "Based on the best-selling trading card game" in the synopsis for an anime I immediately move on to something else.  It's no secret that I'm not a fan of those types of shows.  If I were into the card game they were based on that may be a different story.  Rage of Bahamut: Genesis is the exception to that rule.

Thus far it has been the biggest surprise of the season.  I generally make use of Anime News Network's handy seasonal preview guides to weed out the shows that I feel are not worth my time.  I have a bad habit of trying to watch far too many shows at once so their guide is a very helpful tool in deciding what I should focus on.  I was extremely surprised when I saw how highly rated this show was by all the reviewers so I had to check it out.  I was not disappointed!

The show is a fairly traditional fantasy story.  Not much has been revealed so far.  All I know from the first episode is that in the past Bahamut was pissed and set about destroying everything and everyone (as he so often does).  The main heroes are two bounty hunters Favaro, the lovable rogue, and Kaisar, a noble pretty-boy who has fallen on hard times due to something Favaro did that has yet to be revealed.  The production values are easily the best I've ever seen for an animated adaptation of a trading card game.  This is thanks to the amazingly talented Studio Mappa (Terror in Resonance, Kids on the Slope).  The music is a bit generic but fits the show well.  If I didn't know about the card game I would have thought it was just an exciting new fantasy series.  Admittedly I don't know anything about the card game so I don't know how many references may or may not be present, the one fairly obvious nod seeming to be when bounty targets are captured they are turned into stone cards.  I will definitely continue watching this show, it has the potential to be one of the best fantasy anime in recent years.  With the talented staff it has I have big hopes for this show!


You can find it streaming on Funimation now and Hulu starting next week.  Feel free to leave a comment below!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep comments constructive and/or civil.